A lovely variation on the classic Italian dessert Tiramisu. Chestnuts add a sweet nuttiness to the dish that really compliments the other flavours.
12 cooked and peeled Chestnuts or 120g chestnut meal
2 Eggs room temp, separated
2 tablespoons Sugar
250 g good quality Marscapone
3 tablespoons Brandy or marsala
8 savoiardi biscuits
250 ml strong Espresso Coffee
15 g finely grated Dark Chocolate
1. Place chestnuts in a food processor and process until fine. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
2. Whisk in the processed chestnut and half the brandy (or marsala).
3. Fold through the mascarpone being careful not to overbeat.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
5. Beat one tablespoon of the whites through the mascarpone mixture then fold through the remainder.
6. Combine hot coffee remaining brandy (or marsala) in a shallow dish.
7. Leave to cool.
8. Dip Savoiardi biscuits into the coffee mixture making sure they are soaked.
9. Place 4 Savoiardi pieces in the base of a 20cm - 22cm round dessert dish, or 1-2 in the base of a 250ml ‘café latte’ glass.
10. If using the dish, cover with half of the mascarpone and chestnut mixture, smoothing it evenly.
11. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
12. Continue with another layer.
13. If using latte glasses, half fill each glass with chestnut mixture and layer as above.
14. Top with grated chocolate and sprinkle lightly with a few very fine coffee grains.
15. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to chill overnight in the refrigerator.
Make sure to check out our great recipes that are easy to make and to try at home. Be the hit of the party or crawl into a man's heart with these recipes: Starter & Appetizers Recipes, Meat Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Seafood & Fish Recipes, Pizza Recipes, Pasta & Lasagna Recipes, Vegan & Vegetarian Recipes, Dessert Recipes, and other General Recipes.