Always wanted to cook a turkey for Christmas but never quite had the confidence? Well, your prayers have been answered. Anyone with an oven can cook this super-easy turkey.
Recipe: Cranberry glazed turkey with pumpkin and pecan stuffing.
1/2 cup (40g) salt flakes
2 tbs raw sugar
4kg whole turkey, giblets, and neck discarded
2 bunches rosemary
2 tbs olive oil
100g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1L (4 cups) chicken stock
200g dried cranberries
600g frozen cranberries
1 tbs finely chopped rosemary leaves
2 cups (440g) raw sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
PUMPKIN AND PECAN STUFFING
150g unsalted butter, melted
1 onion, coarsely grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g speck, finely chopped
300g coarsely grated butternut pumpkin
200g fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
150g pecans, finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped rosemary
1. The day before cooking, to brine the turkey, combine salt and sugar in a bowl. Rub salt mixture over turkey and inside the cavity. Place turkey, breast-side down, in a deep-sided roasting pan. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
2. For the cranberry sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and leave at room temperature overnight to macerate.
3. The next day, rinse the turkey well under cold running water and pat dry with a paper towel. Spread rosemary across the pan and place turkey, breast-side up, on rosemary in the middle of the pan. Set aside for 1 hour to come to room temperature.
4. Pre-heat oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
5. Meanwhile, for the stuffing, place all ingredients in a bowl and combine well with clean hands. Fill the cavity with stuffing and tie legs together with kitchen string.
6. Combine oil and butter in a bowl and brush over turkey. Add 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock to the pan. Transfer cranberry sauce to a separate deep-sided roasting pan and add the remaining 2 cups (500ml) stock. Place turkey on the middle shelf of the oven and cranberry sauce on a lower shelf, and roast for 30 minutes or until turkey is slightly golden and sugar in cranberry sauce is dissolved. Remove sauce from the oven and set aside.
7. Reduce oven to 150°C. Rotate turkey 180° and roast for 1 hour 20 minutes, then rotate 180° again and pour over cranberry sauce. Roast, brushing with sauce from the pan every 10 minutes, for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 75°C. Remove from oven and rest, loosely covered with foil, for at least 20 minutes. Serve turkey drizzled with sauce from the pan.
Make sure to check out our great recipes that are easy to make and to try at home. Be the hit of the party or crawl into a man's heart with these recipes: Starter & Appetizers Recipes, Meat Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Seafood & Fish Recipes, Pizza Recipes, Pasta & Lasagna Recipes, Vegan & Vegetarian Recipes, Dessert Recipes, and other General Recipes.