BBQ Chicken Wings and Potato Salad Starter Recipe. A southern feast.
12 chicken wings
For the BBQ sauce
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small yellow pepper, chopped
2 x 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
1 orange, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small tin of pineapple pieces or rings
170g (6oz) brown sugar
4 tbsp malt vinegar
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and black pepper
2 Cajun seasoning
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp cornflour, dissolved in water
For the potato salad
450g (16oz) new potatoes, halved and cooked until tender
4 cornichons, chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
2 tbsp chives chopped
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp crème Fraiche
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the BBQ sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan until hot. Add in the onions and peppers and fry for a couple of minutes until they begin to soften. Add in the smoked paprika and continue to fry for a couple of minutes. Add in the orange, stir and cook for another few minutes.
2. Add in all of the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer on a low heat for 1 hour. When done remove from the heat and blend. This can then be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For the BBQ chicken wings:
1. Preheat the grill. Also pre-heat a large griddle pan.
2. Place the wings on the griddle pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Once the wings are nearly cooked, cover in the BBQ sauce and continue cooking under the grill for a further 3 minutes.
For the potato salad:
1. Put the potatoes into a large bowl and add in the crème Fraiche and mayonnaise while the potatoes are still warm and stir well. Fold through all of the other ingredients.